Robinson, Philip, son of Thomas Robinson, was born about the year 1698, in the north of Ireland, came to the Province of Pennsylvania with his fatherís family, prior to 1730. His name appears on the first tax list of Hanover township, Lancaster county. He settled with his family on Manada creek, near the Gap. During the Indian war, 1755-1763, there was a fort on his farm for defense against the Indians and the safety of the settlers. His sons were already grown men, for in 1755 Governor Morris addressed a letter to Samuel Robinson, sending with it one hundred pounds of gunpowder to be used by the inhabitants of Hanover in "defense of themselves and their country." Beside their farm, the Robinsons were millers, owning a mill on the Manada at the Gap, and furnishing supplies to the Government during that war. Philip Robinson died in May, 1770; his wifeís name is unknown, and her death preceded her husbandís.
Transcribed by: Lynne Ranieri
From page 169