SANGREE, REV. MILTON H., pastor of Fourth Reformed church, Harrisburg, Pa., parsonage 1508 Market street, was born in Washington county, Md., November 7, 1832, son of Abraham B. and Margaret (Tritle) Sangree. His is grandparents on both sides came from Switzerland, and are supposed to have been descendants of French Protestant refugees. His grandfather, Michael Sangree, was married about 1790, in York county, Pa., to Miss Elizabeth Burkholder: they had nine children: Jacob, John, Christian, Abraham B., Joseph, Benjamin, Esther, Jane and Elizabeth. Abraham B. Sangree, father of Rev. M. H. Sangree, was born in York county, Pa., February 15, 1799. He was a miller, and continued in this occupation during the greater part of his life: but a few years before his death he bought a farm in Huntingdon county; Pa., which is still called the "Sangree Farm," and which he cultivated until his death, March 16, 1868. He was married in 1830, at Smithburg, Md., to Maria Margaret. daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Huyett) Tritle, who was born in Washington county, Md., November 15,1808. Their children were: Rev. Milton H., Arietta, wife of William Smith, a veteran soldier, deceased, Amanda J., Melinda, wife of Dr. William H. Aller, of New York, deceased. Luther, enlisted in company C, Fifty-third regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, and was killed at the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862. The life of the father was shortened by grief for the death of this son. He died March 16, 1868, aged seventy years. He was an elder in the Reformed church at McConnellstown, Pa.
Milton H. Sangree attended the public schools of Huntingdon county, from which he entered Tuscarora Academy for a short time. He then became a teacher in the public schools of Huntingdon county, and continued in this service through eleven years, during which time he also traveled as far west as Topeka, Kan., and resided in Missouri for a short time. After his return from the West, Mr. Sangree enlisted, in February, 1865, in company K, Seventy-eighth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, and was promoted to be second lieutenant and served in Tennessee, and was discharged in September, 1865. He did not take part in any battle, but was detailed for post duty at Nashville. Tenn. He was afterwards superintendent of oil interests in Venango county, Pa., for two years. Esteeming it a duty and a privilege to become a minister of the gospel, Mr. Sangree pursued a thorough course of study in the Theological Seminary at Mercersburg for three years. This course was completed in 1871, when he was ordained to the office of the holy ministry. He was financial agent of Mercer College one year and was then called to be pastor of the Reformed church at Bloody Run, now Everett, Pa., which was a missionary field of large extent; here he remained for seven years, and accomplished valuable results in gathering the people and organizing the work. His next charge was the Water Street church, Huntingdon, Pa. It was undertaken in 1879, held successfully for almost five years, and relinquished for that of Arendtville, Adams county, Pa., in 1884. In 1889 Rev. Mr. Sangree came to Steelton, Dauphin county, where he found a wide and important field for mission work, and where he was successful in building up a large and flourishing congregation and erecting a beautiful church. After four and a-half years of service there he was sent by the board of home missions of the Reformed Church to East Harrisburg, to establish the Fourth Reformed church, of Harrisburg, which is his present charge. In all places where he has labored Mr. Sangree has been devoted, painstaking and successful. Mr. Sangree was married, October 6, 1856, at Three Springs, Huntingdon county, Pa., to Miss Jane E., daughter of George and Rebecca (Hubbell) Hudson. Their children are: Rev. Henry H., pastor of the Reformed church at Steelton, married Miss Helen Hoke, of Hanover, Pa.; Francis N., wife of Dr. Elmer C. Fahrney; Ernest B., M. D., late of Philadelphia, well known as a physician and scientist, having been pathologist in the Philadelphia hospital, assistant professor of pathology in the Medico-Chirurgical College, adjunct professor of pathology in the Philadelphia Polyclinic, and member of the Academy of Natural Sciences; was elected in the spring of 1896 to the chair of pathology and bacteriology in the Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., by unanimous vote of the board of trustees; Margaret T. resides at home, is a teacher of music; Thomas C., also a physician. now in practice in New York, and, until recently, surgeon in the employ of the Red Star line, between New York and Antwerp; Hope M., wife of Walter Kauffman, Steelton, Pa.: Allen L., graduate of Franklin and Marshall College, resides in New York, is on the staff of the New York Sun, and George, living at home. Mrs. Sangree, wife of Rev. M. II. Sangree, was born at Three Springs, Huntingdon county, Pa., in 1833. Her fatherís ancestors were from England on his father's side, and Ireland on his motherís side. He was a farmer, as well as the owner of a large mill. He was married, in 1823, to Miss Rebecca Hubbell., of the same nativity as himself. He had eight children, of whom five are living. Mr. Hudson died in 1856, aged sixty years; Mrs. Hudson died in 1881, aged eighty years.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Becky Tuszynski firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 12 June 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.