SAVAGE, James, was born in North Wales, February 25, 1823, and died in Cimmaron, New Mexico, November 10, 1881, where he was superintending a mine for his brother., Col. E. G. Savage. He emigrated to America with his parents, who settled in Minersville, where he learned the trade of a machinist. In 1849 he came to Wiconisco to put up the engine for the Lykens Valley breaker, which he ran a year, and then went to California. There he stayed two years, and returned in 1852 and accepted a position under the Short Mountain Coal Company. He hoisted the first car of coal ever taken out of the Wiconisco mines. In 1855 or 1856 he became superintendent of the Lykens Coal Company under George E. Hoffman. In 1861 he went to California again, where he remained until 1865, when he returned and located at Gilberton, Schuylkill county, in charge of the Gilberton Coal Company. In 1867, with Col. E. G. Savage and Benjamin Kaufman, under the firm name of Savage, Brother & Kaufman, he leased a tract of coal land of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad, developed what is now known as "Brookside Colliery," and established the operation as a successful one. Then they sold it to George S. Repplier & Co. He was subsequently its superintendent, and afterwards in various enterprises in Tremont for ten years. He may justly be regarded as the pioneer of the Wiconisco coal mines.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Becky Tuszynski firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 30 Dec 2000
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.