SEUBERT, Rev. Father F. C., rector- of St. Lawrence German Catholic church, Harrisburg, Pa., was born at Lebanon, Pa., August 2, 1859. He is a son of F. Anton and Margaret (Ganster) Seubert, both natives of Aschaffenberg, Bavaria. They came to America in 1857. They were united in matrimony October 14, 1858, at St. Peter's church, Reading, Pa. In the spring of 1859 they located at Lebanon, where they still reside, honored and respected by their neighbors. Fourteen children were born to them, of whom eleven are living: Catherine, wife of Jerome H. Youtz, residing at Lebanon; Miss Emma, residing in Philadelphia; Joseph A.. residing at Lebanon, Pa.; John J., residing at Sayre, Pa.; Mary, wife of George S. Pence, residing at Lebanon; Miss Anna H., residing in Philadelphia; George P., a student for the priesthood in St. Vincent's, Westmoreland county, Pa.: C. Aloysius, a student in the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Philadelphia; Margaret and William H., attending St. Vincentís College, and the subject of this biography, who was the eldest of the children.
Father Seubert received his early education in the parochial schools of his native town. In the fall of 1876 he went to Montreal, Canada, where he spent seven years in college. Five years of this time were spent in classical studies, and two years in the philosophical course. He was then called to Sylvan Heights Seminary by Rt. Rev. Bishop Shanahan, where he studied theology. On June 26, 1886, he was ordained to the priesthood by Rt. Rev. Archbishop Ryan, of Philadelphia, Rt. Rev. Bishop Shanahan being too ill at the tune to hold the ordination. His first appointment was at Chambersburg. where he was assistant to Rev. Father C. A. Schlueter until January, 1887. On January 14, 1887, he took charge of St. Agnes church, Lock Haven, Pa., where he remained for five years, during which time he won the love and esteem of all classes by his earnest and successful work. Under his care the charge grew and prospered as it had never done before. The church and convent buildings were remodeled, a new parochial residence erected, and many other important improvements made. On January 14, 1892, he took charge of St. Lawrence parish, and since that date has also been appointed secretary of the diocese. He is a gentleman of pleasing address, with a genial countenance and charming manners, and is esteemed by all as a kindly, godly man.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Becky Tuszynski firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 18 July 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.