SHEETZ, JOHN, farmer and postmaster of Carsonville, Pa., was born in Jefferson township, now Wayne township, November 26, 1842. His grandfather, John Sheetz, was a native of Dauphin county, Pa.. and a farmer. William J. Sheetz, father of the younger John Sheetz, was born in Dauphin county, November 20, 1805. He grew up on the farm, and when a young man came to Jefferson township, now Wayne, where he bought two hundred acres of land, on which he built a brick dwelling and barn, and made other improvements, and carried on farming and stock raising. He was enterprising and prosperous. Mr. Sheetz was married to Barbara, daughter of Christian and Margaret Zimmerman, of Jackson township, born June 3, 1811. Their children are: Josiah, born March 22, 1831, farmer, of Wayne township; George, September 3, 1832, farmer, Wayne township; Mary B., May 7, 1834, wife of James Sweigert, Jackson township; Samuel B., July 20, 1836, farmer, Wayne township; Julia A., April 8, 1839, wife of James Huffman, Jackson township; Elizabeth, April 6, 1841, widow of Henry E. Welker, Wayne township; John; Washington, June 15, 1845, resides on the homestead in Wayne township; William, October 7, 1847, resides in Jefferson township; Margaret, October 26, 1849; Sarah M, deceased, born September 8, 1852, wife of Emanuel Ludwig, merchant, Penbrook, Pa.; Catherine E., March 24, 1855, wife of Leonard Hawk, farmer, Wayne township. Mr. Sheetz was a Democrat. The family were members of the Lutheran church. He died in Wayne township, and Mrs. Sheetz in Jackson township.
John Sheetz attended school in Wayne township during the winter months, working on the farm during the summer. He remained on the home farm until he was twenty-one, at which time he had accumulated over one thousand dollars. With several other young men he went into the oil business as a speculation, putting down wells, etc., which they soon found to be unprofitable. Having lost his one thousand dollars he returned to his old neighborhood to begin life anew. With such help as he could get from his father and father-in-law, Mr. Sheetz bought fifty-seven acres of land in Jefferson township, which he improved and farmed until 1886. At the same time he carried on the manufacture of lumber with fair success.
In 1886 Mr. Sheetz went into a general mercantile business in Carsonville, which he conducted eight years with very satisfactory profits. During this time he also operated a saw mill and manufactured and dealt in lumber. In 1894 he sold his store and mill and bought a farm of one hundred and fifteen acres near Carsonville, on which he made improvements costing $2000, and engaged in farming and stock raising. In addition to this homestead he owns one hundred and twenty-six acres of land in Wayne and Jefferson townships and eleven hundred acres of timber land in Centre county, on which there is a saw mill, with a factory and other imporvements
Mr. Sheetz was married in Jefferson township, in November, 1864, to Sarah J. Parks, born in Jefferson township, January 18, 1847; daughter of George Parks, farmer and lumberman and merchant of that township. They had ten children: Margaret, born April 14, 1866, died April 18, 1877; Emma E., born September 10, 1861, wife of Alfred Taylor, Chicago, Ill.; Carson A.; William H., born February 20, 1871; George W.; Mary A.; John E., born November 2, 1876, died November 30, 1879; Thomas R., born July l0, 1879, at home; Rosella C.; and Annie L., born August 11, 1884, died September 6, 1884.
Mr. Sheetz was postmaster eight years, under both of President Cleveland’s administrations. He was school director for three years, and for the same length of time auditor of Jefferson township. He is a Democrat. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Sheetz is a hard-working, enterprising, and prosperous man, is widely known and universally popular.
Carson Asbury Sheetz, eldest son of John and Sarah Jane Sheetz, was born June 29, 1869, at Carsonville, Dauphin county, Pa. He attended country schools during the winter and worked on the farm summers. At the age of fourteen attended spring and fall terms at Berrysburg Seminary. In the spring of 1889 attended Elizabethville Seminary under Prof. D. G. Lubold; taught school that winter at Rank’s school house, Jefferson township. Left the following spring, 1890, for Quincy, Ill. Took full course of bookkeeping and accountant there at Gem City Business College. The fall of 1890 left Quincy for Chicago. Was cashier for H. M. Kinsley, Chicago, until July, 1891; later was employed as invoice clerk at Mandel Bros. Dry goods store, Chicago. Shortly afterwards was taken down with an attack of rheumatism, and immediately went back home. Instead of returning to Chicago as was intended, was persuaded to teach the Carsonville school that winter. In the spring of 1892 attended Fredericksburg Seminary, one term, leaving home July 22, same year, for Denver, Colo. At Denver took the full course of stenography with Hon. F. W. Owers, district judge of the Fifth Judicial District of Colorado, at Leadville. Left Leadville, July 1894, for a position there as stenographer with C. S. Wilson, attorney for W. S. Stratton, owner of the Independence mine. Remained in the employ of C. S. Wilson until February, 1895, when the position as head bookkeeper and settlement clerk for the Lawrence Gold Extraction Company, Cripple Creek district, was tendered him, which he accepted. Remained with the Lawrence Company in the above capacity until the first of the year, the entire plant being destroyed by fire December 23, 1895. Immediately after the destruction of the Lawrence Works a proposition was made him by J. H. Willard & Co., an old and established real estate firm, to enter into equal partnership with them, which was accepted January 1, 1896. The firm name was changed from J. H. Willard & Co. to the Willard Investment Company, with Mr. Sheetz as secretary and treasurer of the new corporation; their principal office being at Victor, Colo., which is situated in the very center of the Cripple Creek gold mining district.
William H. Sheetz, second son of John Sheetz, in February, 1885, went to Poughkeepsie, N. Y., where he took a course and graduated in the school of stenography of Eastman College; thence to New York, where for five months he was stenographer in the Merchants' Exchange National Bank; thence to Suffolk, Va., where he was stenographer and clerk in a wholesale feed and coal house for seven months; thence home to Carsonville, where in the winter of 1889-90 he taught school; in April, 1890, he went to Valparaiso, Ind., where he attended the Normal School four months; thence to Denver, Colo., where he worked as stenographer with the Denver Fire Insurance Company; thence to Pueblo, Colo., where he was seven months as stenographer in the law office of Gerry & Campbell; thence, in 1891, to Aspen, Colo., where he worked in the law office of L. S. Smith in the same capacity for two years; thence to Cripple Creek, Colo., where he was stenographer in a law office for two years; and on January 1, 1895, came to Leadville, Colo., where he now is official stenographer of the District Court of the Fifth Judicial District of the State of Colorado. While in the several law offices, he has spent all his leisure hours at reading law. He was twenty-five years of age on February 20 last, and is single.
The three children, George W., Mary A. and Rosella C. are living in Carlisle, Pa. George W. was born July 20, 1872, at Carsonville, and resided on the farm with his parents until the age of seventeen, when he taught school in Rush township for a year. During the winters of 1890 and 1891 he taught in Jefferson township. In 1892 he attended Schuylkill Seminary, and again taught the following winter. He is now a junior in Dickinson College, having entered the Freshman class in 1894. During his first year at Dickinson he was awarded the first prize for "Dramatic Declamation," an honor which was well deserved, as Mr. Sheetz possesses rare ability, and never fails to entertain the many audiences before which he recites. Mary A. Sheetz was born December 8, 1873, and attended the home school nine years, the Elizabethville Seminary one term and the Schuylkill Seminary one term. The two succeeding years were spent at Millersburg high school, from which she graduated in 1893. The following winter she taught the home school, and in 1894 entered Metzger College, Carlisle, as a student of art and music, but at present is continuing music only. Rosella C. Sheetz was born November 2, 1882, at Carsonville. After living with her parents up to the age of twelve she moved to Carlisle with her brother George W. and sister Mary A., where she is at present attending the public schools.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Joanne Nichols firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin
County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 29 Jan 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction
for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly