SHUMBERGER, J. C. -- A community gains character and distinction from the leaders in various branches of business who make it the seat of their labors. Every original and successful business venture is an advertisement and an additional attraction to the place. Certainly to Mr. Shumberger must be accorded the praise of success in the founding and conduct of his School of Commerce.
Mr. Shuberger was born in Good Hope, Cumberland county, Pa. His father, Simon Shumberger, was a native of the same county, and was a prominent man there. He was a contractor and builder, and also conducted an undertaking establishment. He served for nine months during the late Rebellion in Company F, On Hundred and Thirtieth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers. He resided in Cumberland county until 1890, when he came to Harrisburg. Since that time he has been engaged in contracting. He married Sarah Eckert, and they have two children: M. Ella, wife of Jacob Souder, residing in Harrisburg, and J. C. Mr. and Mrs. Simon Shumberger are worthy people, modest and unassuming, and quietly taking part in all movements promising social good. Mr. Shumberger is one of the incvorporators of Messiah Rescue and Benevolent Home of Harrisburg, which was chartered April 15, 1896.
J. C. Shumberger received his primary education in the public schools of his native county and of Harrisburg. This course was supplemented by subsequent attendance at the Keystone Business College of Harrisburg and the head school of Acme Phonography at Washington, D. C.
In the organization of the Lebanon Business College in 1890 Mr. Shumberger displayed marked ability. When the failure of others had left the ground cumbered with difficulties he achieved success, placed the institution on a good foundation and started it upon a career of prosperity. He afterwards disposed of the Lebanon Business College to a company composed of the principals of the different departments of the school, and the institution is still successfully conducted by them. A remarkable record of usefulness and success is that which has been made by the institution known as the School of Commerce, which is located at 16 North Market Square.
Mr. J. C. Shumberger, who founded the school in Harrisburg in April, 1894, is one of the ablest, most courteous and most distinguished representatives of the scholastic profession, and by his indefatigagle efforts, seconded by a staff of competent assistants, he has made it one of the most prosperous schools of the kind in the State.
The following is a list of studies pursued at this school: Double entry bookkeeping, single entry bookkeeping, commercial law, commercial arithmetic, rapid calculations, civil government, correspondence, grammer (Maxwell's Intro. and Swinton's advanced), negotiable papers, penmanship, office practice, spelling, banking, practice of keeping books for the different trades, shorthand, letter copying, manifolding and typewriting. In no school in the United States is better work done than in this one. The proof is found in the ease with which pupils secure good paying positions in great business houses.
There are accommodations for about 150 scholars at this school, and about 146 are at present enrolled.
Mr. Shumberger gives to every department his close personal supervision -- and we all know what a powerful thing the eye of the master is. The school has the finest business college rooms in the State, fitted with all the modern conveniences. The rooms are elegantly lighted with natural and electric light and heated with steam. The latest improved typewriters are in use. Those desiring to prepare themselves for teaching penmanship in any or all of the departments of the beautiful art find superior facilities in this institution. Students holding scholarships have the privilege of attending both day and evening sessions until they have the course completed, regardless of time. They also have the privilege of reviewing their course in the college years after, if they wish, without extra charge.
In short, this is a thoroughly up-to-date institution, having at its head one of the acknowledged master minds of the profession.
On May 1, 1898, Mr. Shumberger organized a Commercial College at Carlisle, Cumberland county, Pa., which he is conducting successfully at this date. In connection with the School of Commerce Mr. Shumberger edits and publishes a newspaper called the School of Commerce News, which is issued monthly.
During the years 1892, '93 and '94 Prof. Shumberger was principal of the commercial department of the Pennsylvania Chautauqua, and performed the duties incumbent upon him with zeal and efficeincy. In 1893 he was elected a director of the Philadelphia Mutual Loan Association, In his earlier life Mr. Shumberger was engaged in mechanical pursuits. He learned both carpentry and undertaking, and when only sixteen years of age was the overseer of twelve men engaged in erecting important structures, such as barns, dwelling houses and churches.
Mr. Shumberger was married in Lebanon, Pa., June 1, 1893, to Alberta K., daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Borden) Hepkins. They have one child, named Sarah Elizabeth. Mr. and Mrs. Shumberger are consistent and active members of Messiah Lutheran church, and are teachers in the Sunday-school connected with that church. During the last eight months of Mr. Shumberger's residence in Lebanon he was the faithful superintendent of the Sunday-school of the Seventh Street Lutheran church. He is a member of the Young Men's Christian Association and takes a lively interest in all activities tending to benefit and improve his fellow-men. Mr Shumbeerger is an active member of the Patriotic Order Sons of America, also of the cammandery of the same organization, and a member and trustee of Dauphin Conclave, No. 96, I. O. of H.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Janice Frank firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 22 Jan 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or
organization is strictly prohibited