SIMONTON, WILLIAMM M.D., was born 1755 in county Antrim, Ireland; died April 24, 1800, in Hanover township, Dauphin county, Pa. He was brought to this country at the age of ten by his uncle, the REv. John Simonton, pastor of the Great Valley Presbyterian church in Chester county, Pa. Under the direction of this uncle he received his academic and professional education. Soon after completing his medical course, he entered upon the practice of his profession, but at what place is unknown. In 1784 he purchased a tract of land called "Antigua," containing one hundred and eighty-two acres, situated in West Hanover township, from Joseph Hutchison. Upon this farm he resided all his life. All the traditions which have reached us concerning his standard as a physican, a man, and a christian, are highly favorable. A fitting testimonial to his life, labors and character was prepared by the Rev. James Snodgrass, pastor of Hanover church, and delivered on the occasion of his funeral. His remains are interred in old Hanover graveyard. Mr. Simonton married, November 17, 1777, Jean Wiggins, daughter of Dr. John Wiggins, an officer of the Revolution. She was born in 1756 in Paxtang, Lancaster county, Pa., and died October, 1824, and buried by the side of her husband.
Sidney, Indiana page 352-353