SMITH, Chas. G.
Back Up Next

SMITH, Charles G., was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, September 12, 1847. He is a son of Frederick and Wilhelmina (Kuebler) Smith, who came to America in 1851 and located in Harrisburg. The father lived retired from active business until his death, in 1860.

Charles G. was the youngest of five children, all of whom are deceased excepting himself and one brother, Frederick, of Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Smith was educated in the public schools of Harrisburg. He learned cigarmaking, and in 1860 engaged in the manufacture of cigars on Forster street. In 1866 he enlarged his business and located at 506 Market street, where he remained until 1885. He then removed to 439 Market street, and in September, 1895, to his present location. He does an extensive wholesale and retail tobacco business. In 1882 he admitted John J. Keffer as a partner, and the firm has since been Smith & Keffer.

In 1885 he and John B. Litch, of Steelton, engaged in the leaf tobacco business, that is, packing and curing, under the firm name of C. G. Smith & Co., and have since continued this business. This is one of the leading firms of the State in this line. They buy tobacco directly from the producers, and cure, pack and ship it to all markets. They buy in the States of Wisconsin, Ohio, Connecticut, New York and Pennsylvania. They have an extensive warehouse on Eleventh street, Harrisburg, and one at Marietta, Lancaster county.

Mr. Smith's start in business was with a capital of $300, and this sum was saved from his own earnings. As a business man, it is an exact use of language to term him a self-made man. His characteristics are reflected and defined in his success. Nothing but industry, energy, enterprise, integrity, intelligence and sound judgement could produce results so desirable as the foundation, growth, performance and returns of Mr. Smith's extensive business. He is a Democrat; he has been repeatedly solicited to accept office, but has always declined. Mr. Smith is a member of Perseverance Lodge, No. 21, F. & A. M. He was married, in 1867, to Miss Sarah E., daughter of Peter Keffer, of Lancaster county, and niece of Prof. Washington Keffer. They have five children: Clara, Mrs. S. Wirt Mosser, of Harrisburg; Annie, deceased, wife of David Rahter, of Harrisburg; Laura, Katherine, and Linda. Mr. Smith was one of the organizers of the Board of Trade. He attends St. Paul's Episcopal church; he was for many years warden of that church.

Historical Review of Dauphin County

Transcribed by Gwen Bixler Drivon at GGDGEN@aol.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription

Date of Transcription: 19 Feb. 2001

Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.