SMITH, William C., M. D., Linglestown, was born at Annville, Lebanon county, Pa., October 9, 1828. He is a son of Conrad and Susanna N. (Ensminger) Smith. The grandfather served as an officer in the Revolutionary army. The father died at Hummelstown at the age of ninety years and the mother at the age of fifty-six years. Dr. Smith received his primary education at Hummelstown and attended the Annville Academy for six months. He then returned to Hummelstown and began the study of medicine with Dr. John Stahly, with whom he remained three years, and at the same time attended lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, from which institution he graduated on April 8, 1850. He then located in Hummelstown for one year, then in Linglestown and Middletown each for one year. He next returned to Linglestown and has continued the practice of his profession there up to the present time. During the war he treated with remarkable kindness the families of the brave defenders of our Union. In 1866 he was instrumental in securing the funds necessary for the erection of the soldiers’ monument in the Willow Grove cemetery, dedicated to the brave soldiers of Lower Paxton, West Hanover, East Hanover and Susquehanna townships. He was married, in 1850, to Miss Hanna A (Care) Smith, daughter of John and Sarah (Geiger) Care. Their children are: Edward C., deceased, William C., deceased, Charles H., M.D., and Jeremiah P., M.D. Dr. Smith also greatly assisted in the establishment of Union chapel of Linglestown, which is used by the German Baptist, Methodist Episcopal and Lutheran denominations, and the Union Sabbath-school which meets each Sunday.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Angel Gerow100ladyhawk@altavista.com.ISP for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 8 March 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction
for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly