SNYDER, WILLIAM H., pharmacist, was born in East Hanover township, September 24, 1871. He is the son of the late Peter C. and Mary A. (Kaufman) Snyder. His parents were both natives of Berks county, Pa. The father was a prominent physician and practiced his profession for many years near Reading, Pa. He was also assistant surgeon of the Two Hundredth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, during the late war. In 1870 he removed to Dauphin county, and for several years was foreman of the Manada Furnaces, in East Hanover township. About 1873 he removed to Rockville, Susquehanna township, and there practiced his profession until 1877, when he removed to Ellendale Forge, Middle Paxton township, where he took charge of the charcoal forges until 1884, at which date he removed to Harrisburg. From that time to the date of his death, he was engaged in the drug business. He died October 4, 1893. His wife died March 6, 1893. To them were born three children: Walter, residing at Reading, Pa.: William H. and Mary K. By a previous marriage of the father there was one daughter, Carrie M., wife of Charles Bartz, residing at Reading, Pa. By a former marriage of the mother there was one son, John K. Genger, who resides at Sheridan Furnace, Lebanon county, Pa. William H., when but an infant, removed with his parents to Rockville, and in 1877 again removed to Ellendale Forge, where he remained till 1884, receiving his education in the district schools. In 1884 he came with the family to Harrisburg, In 1886 he entered his father’s drug store as a clerk. Since the death of his father, in 1893, he has conducted the business in the interest of the estate.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Donna WhippleDwhip79307@aol.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 13 Jan 2001
Copyright © 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.