STEVENS, JOHN C., M.D.,was born in White Haven, Schuykill county, Pa., September 17, 1864, son of Rev. B.F. and Hannah G. (Rhoads) Stevens. The father is a native of Franklin county, Pa. The mother was a daughter of Rev. John Rhoads, a devoted minister of the M. E. Church, and a native of Virginia. The father had charges at White Haven, Ashland, Jersey Shore, Northumberland, Williamsport, Clearfield, Danville, Mifflinburg, Stevenstown, Mechanicsburg, Duncannon and Harrisburg, and is now retired from the active work of the ministry. John C. was reared in the different places of his father’s pastorates, and was educated at the Dickinson Seminary at Williamsport, from which was graduated in 1885. He read medicine under Dr. T. L. Johnson, of Duncannon, and attended the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, from which he graduated in 1888, after which he was appointed assistant surgeon at the State Lunatic Asylum, and remained there from May, 1888, to March, 1891, when he went to the Philadelphia Polyclinical Hospital, and took a full course. In 1892 he located in Harrisburg, and entered upon a general practice. Dr. Stevens is a member of the Dauphin County Medical Society and the State Medical Society. His fraternal membership is with the Nazareth Commandery, K. of M. In political views he is a Republican. He is not married, and is a member of the M. E. Church, and was a director of the Y. M. C.A. in 1892 and 1893.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Mary Jo Erdwein (email@example.com) for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – Http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 19 November 2000
Copyright © 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.