SWARTZ, J. Ross, M. D. – The best representatives of all the learned professions are naturally and strongly drawn toward the centers of dense population. This is not only because life in large cities is more attractive, but more for the reason that the intimate and intricate relationships and associations created by the close assemblage of large numbers of human beings are the source and origin of those human wants and needs which the learned professions are designed to supply. Hence there is a continuous contribution of bright and aspiring young men from the country and smaller towns to the city, by which the professional ranks of the city are kept full. In this way Harrisburg received a valuable addition to its corps of physicians and surgeons in the person of Dr. Swartz.
He was born in McVeytown, Mifflin county, Pa., January 26, 1857. His father is Dr. J. S. Schwartz, a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother is Matilda (Lewis) Swartz, a niece of the distinguished statesman and diplomat, Hon. John M. Clayton, of Maryland. He pursued the usual course of studies in the public schools, and afterwards was for some a pupil at the Airyville Academy in Central Pennsylvania. By an extended course of reading and study under his father he prepared himself for the course of lectures at the medical college. He entered the Hahnemann College of Medicine at Philadelphia, and was graduated from that institution in 1879. He began the practice of medicine in Washington, D.C., as the assistant to Dr. T. D. Verdie. Here were many advantages for beginning his professional work in connection with an eminent and successful physician who had a large city practice. Dr. Swartz fully appreciated the opportunities thus offered him for perfecting his knowledge of medicine, and gaining an acquaintance with the chemical and ethical demands of his profession by actual experience and his close observation of a successful physician. But these opportunities in their fullest privilege were speedily reaped by Dr. Swartz. The desire for a footing of his own and a practice in which he would be sole and supreme was formed and was fully gratified by his removal to Harrisburg in 1880. Here he has found and inviting field for the exercise of his professional skill and is in the enjoyment of a large and agreeable practice. Under the administration of President Cleveland he was appointed and commissioned a member of the county board of Pension Examiners, and in the organization of the board he was elected the secretary and held the position for three years. His appointment to this responsible office was due not only to the fact that he is identified with the political party in power at the time of his appointment, but was more owing to the recognition of his personal and professional fitness for the place. Dr. Swartz recognizes the benefit of close association with the members of his profession and the adherents of his school and medicine, and had enrolled himself in the membership of the county, State and National Medical Associations, and takes an interest in all the proceedings of these societies. He is also a participant in social activities outside of his profession, being a member of the Harrisburg Club and of the Masonic fraternity. Dr. Swartz was married in 1883, to Miss Margarie Zinn, daughter of George and Annie Zinn, of Harrisburg. To this marriage there is no issue.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Date of Transcription: 11 November 2000
Copyright © 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.