TEMPLAR, JOSEPH E., deceased, was born in Wellington, England, December 1, 1837; son of Joseph and Anna (Hancock) Templar. He had only slender educational advantages, which he improved to the utmost, but secured only a limited education. He learned the trades of wool sorter and baker, and came to America in 1857, locating in Harrisburg. He was foreman for General Roumfort for seven years, after which he removed to Carlisle, Pa., where he carried on a bakery for two years, and then embarked in the grocery business in Harrisburg, corner of Fourth and Walnut streets, which he conducted for sixteen years, removing in 1887 to Thirteenth and Market streets. He died February 16, 1896. His political affiliation was with the Republican party, and he had always been a strong anti-slavery man and a warm friend of the colored race. Public office was not attractive to him, and he never accepted official positions, having served only on the election board. Mr. Templar was married to Miss Susan, daughter of Joseph D. Gallegher, of Harrisburg, by whom he had four children: Frank N., in hardware trade in Harrisburg; Harry W., printer, Harrisburg; Bertha, Mrs. Harry C. Young, Harrisburg, and Ida G. He was married, secondly, in l876, to Miss Fannie M. Ferster, daughter of Rudolph Ferster, of Honey Brook, Chester county, Pa., by whom he had one child, Mary Alice. Mr. Templar was reared a Presbyterian, and first united with the Market Square Presbyterian church, but afterwards joined the Pine Street church of the same denomination. He took an active interest in the Elder Street Presbyterian church, and was a teacher in the Sabbath-school many years.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Robert Demyrdemy@earthlink.net for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 12 Feb 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.