TOWSEN, JAMES A., superintendent and treasurer of the Capitol City Flint Company, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., December 6, 1829, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Wheeler) Towsen, of Lancaster and York counties respectively. He was reared and educated in his native country, and learned the trade of slate roofing in 1847, at which he worked on sub-contracts in Lancaster county until 1867, when he embarked in the business as a contractor at Harrisburg. He executed large contracts for the Pennsylvania steel works, the McCormick estate, Charles L. Bailey & Co., and the Pennsylvania Railway Company. Up to 1878 he was a member of the firm of Thomas Arnold & Co., at which date he purchased the interest of the firm. In February, 1895, he became connected with the Capitol City Flint Company, and in June following was elected superintendent, and was made trustee of the company in December of the same year. During the war of the Rebellion he served with the State militia , and went into the field for three months as a member of company K, Forty-seventh regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, under Colonel Wickersham, being first a corporal and afterwards quartermaster sergeant. In politics he is active as a member of the Republican party. Mr. Towsen was married, in 1850, to Maria Stauffer, daughter of Frank Stauffer, of Lancaster county, by whom he had eight children: Charles and Clare, both deceased; Thomas F., of Harrisburg, roofer; Martha, wife of Henry H.Spooner, of Harrisburg; William H., of Harrisburg, a slate roofer; Mary Emma, Mrs. George W. Clinton, Union, British Columbia; Albert, of Harrisburg, slate roofer; Harry H., clerk with W.H. Spooner. The family attend Grace Episcopal church.