WALTER, Harry B., M. D., was born about four miles southeast of Greencastle, Franklin county, July 5, 1854, and is a son of William and Susan (Bushey) Walter.
The paternal ancestors were of Welsh and the maternal of German origin. William, the father of Harry B, was a son of Bernard and Catherine Walter, both natives of Franklin county. He was married to Miss Susan, daughter of Henry and Margaret Bushey, by whom he had these children: Catherine Virginia, died in December, 1893, aged forty-two years, Edgar C., residing near Greencastle, where is engaged in agricultural pursuits, Harry J., Ida B., who resides with her father, and William A., a drug manufacturer residing in Baltimore. Mrs. Walter is deceased and her husband survives to an advanced age. In his earlier years he was a prominent farmer and an active worker in the ranks of the Republican party, an ardent and enthusiastic admirer of the Camerons.
Harry B. spent his boyhood days on the farm, where he was early taught the duties pertaining to this mode of livelihood. His primary education was acquired in the public schools, supplemented later in life by his own efforts on wet days spent in the hay loft of his father’s barn, with an old arithmetic and grammar for companions. In 1874 he began teaching school at Pine Field, Antrim township, Franklin county, and continued there for two years. During this period, by frugality he saved enough money from his salary to enter Millersville Normal School, and one term during 1876 was spent in that institution. This was followed by two successive winter terms of teaching in Lancaster county. In the spring of 1878 he entered Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, where he spent one year. In 1879 he commenced the study of medicine, and in the gall of the same year entered Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, from which institution he graduated in March, 1881. He at once took up his residence in Harrisburg and began the practice of his profession, which he has continued here ever since.
Dr. Walter is an ardent Republican and has always taken an active part in political matters and the legislation of municipal affairs. For three years he has served as a member of the school board, in which position he has given satisfaction to his constituents. In 1893 he was a candidate for the office of mayor but was defeated by M. C. Eby.
He is prominent in fraternal circles, being a past member of Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464, F. & A. M., a member of Perseverance Chapter, No. 21, R. A. M., member of Pilgrim Commandery, No. 11, K. T., and Harrisburg Consistory, 32°. He is also a past noble grand of Peace and Plenty Lodge, No. 69, I. O. O. F., and a past noble grand of Susannah Lodge, Daughters of Rebecca, a member and past councillor of American Council, No. 3, O. U. A. M., and has represented this body in the State Council.
The Doctor is at present the president of the Dauphin County Medical Society, a member of the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, a member of the American Medical Association, ex-president of Harrisburg Pathological Society, a member of the Academy of Medicine, of Harrisburg, and a member of the surgical staff of the Harrisburg City Hospital. He is also vice-president of the Harris Building and Loan Association.
He was married, in Philadelphia, on the eve of December 24, 1884, to Miss Sarah Chamberlin, a daughter of William and Buelah Chamberlin, of Atlantic City, N. J., and to their union have been born three sons: Harry Morris, Alfred Roscoe, and Ralph Somers. The parents of Mrs. Walter are both deceased, and she is their only surviving child. He and his family attend the Lutheran church, of which body both Dr. and Mrs. Walter are consistent members.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Date of Transcription: 11 November 2000
Copyright © 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.