DOCK, William, son of Philip and Elizabeth (Killain) Dock, was born in East Earl township, Lancaster county, Pa., February 3, 1793. In 1800 his parents removed to Newville, Cumberland county, where they resided until their death. His early education was limited. At the age of seventeen he went to Carlisle, where he was brought up to merchandising. In 1813 he removed to the Susquehanna opposite Harrisburg, where he kept the public ferry one year. The next spring he came to Harrisburg. In 1814 he took charge of the Harrisburg ferry, then controlled by the county of Dauphin. In 1816 he was appointed collector of tolls, eastern end of Harrisburg bridge, which position he filled five years. He entered the mercantile chandlery trade in 1822, which he successfully continued until 1845 when he entirely relinquished the business. In March, 1842, he was appointed one of the associated judges of Dauphin county. In 1849 he received the nomination by the Democracy for Congress in the Fourteenth district, then composed of Dauphin, Lebanon and Schuylkill counties. The Judge made a good canvass, but his party was in the minority. In 1851 he was chairman of the State convention which nominated William Bigler for governor. He had repeatedly been a delegate ot the Lutheran Synod, and in 1856 appointed a trustee of the Pennsylvania College. He served as a trustee of the Harrisburg Academy twenty years, and was actively connected with several business enterprises. Judge Dock died at Harrisburg, August 4, 1868. He married, in 1818, Margaret Gilliard, of Middletown, who died May 30, 1862, in her sixty-eighth year. They had children: William Gilliard, Dr. George, Gilliard, and William, of whom Gilliard alone survives.
Pages 422 - 423
Transcribed by Marjorie Tittle firstname.lastname@example.org for the Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription. 30 Oct 2000 Copyright 2000 - All Rights Reserved; Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.