WILSON, WILLIAM G., proprietor of the Harrisburg Cornice Works and of Maple Grove Hotel, was born in Coatesville, Chester county, Pa., January 17, 1847. He is a son of William and Sophia(Stackhouse)Wilson, both natives of Chester county. He was educated in the public schools of Coatesville. In 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Pennsylvania volunteers, and was assigned to company A. He served in this regiment one year during the late Rebellion. After he was discharged he returned to Coatesville, and finished his education in the academy of that place. He learned telegraphy and was employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in various positions and offices until 1890. He came to Harrisburg in 1865. After leaving the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in 1890, he went to South Jersey and became superintendent of the Philadelphia and Sea Shore railroad for a short time. He then returned to Harrisburg for one year. In 1892 he went to Shenandoah, Va., where he was chief clerk of the Shenandoah division, Norfolk and Western railroad. At the close of the year, he resigned and went to New Jersey, and was superintendent of South Jersey railroad from 1893 till May, 1894, when he resigned and returned to Harrisburg and engaged in his present occupation.
He was married in Harrisburg, October 14, 1875, to La Rue V. Grove, daughter of Michael M. and Charlotte S. Grove. Three children have been born to them: Nellie La Rue, died at the age of fourteen months; Alvah B., and William Grove. Mr. Wilson was elected treasurer of the Pennsylvania Midland railroad in 1894. He was the Republican candidate for mayor of Harrisburg in 1890, against Dr. John A. Fritchey, but was defeated. He is a member of the Heptasophs and of the Junior Order of American Mechanics. In politics he is a Republican. The family attend the Zion Lutheran church.