WINGER, HENRY C., M.D.,pharmacist, was born at Hammer’s Creek, Lancaster county, Pa., March 8, 1837. His parents, Moses and Henrietta (Yundt) Winger, were both natives of Lancaster county, and were of Swiss ancestry. In his early life the father was engaged in agricultural pursuits, but in later life was in the hotel business, mercantile pursuits and distilling. For twenty years previous to his death he lived a retired life. He died in Philadelphia, April 13, 1892, aged eighty-two years, his wife having preceded him in death in 1869. They had two children: Catherine A. and Henry C.
When Henry C. Winger was seven years old he removed with his parents to Lancaster City, which was his home until he reached the age of thirty years. His primary education was received in the public schools of Lancaster, and was completed at White Hall Academy, Cumberland county, from which institution he was graduated in 1853. After completing his literary course he began the study of medicine with John L. Atlee, Sr., of Lancaster, and remained under his instruction for five years. In 1858 he enlisted as private in the regular United States army, and was assigned to company B., First regiment. He was sent to the frontier of Texas, and was stationed at the different forts there, until all the Indians were removed from Texas to Fort Cobb in Indian Territory, his company, together was a company of United States cavalry, acting as escorts in this removal. He, with his company, also assisted in the erection of this fort. While working on the fort he had his foot so badly injured that he was discharged from further duty in 1860, on account of disability, with a pension of $2 per month. In 1862 he enlisted in the United States navy, and served in this branch of the service until 1866, when he was discharged at Gosport Navy Yard, Norfolk, Va., and returned to Lancaster. In 1868 he removed to Delaware, and there engaged in the practice of medicine for three years. In 1871 he removed to Harrisburg, where, for the past twenty-five years, he has been continuously engaged in the practice of his profession; and for the past fourteen years he has, in connection with his practice, been engaged in the drug business.
Dr. Henry C. Winger was married in Harrisburg, June 16, 1872, to Matilda Harper, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Clark) Harper, of Adams county, Pa. Mrs. Harper, when a little girl, lived near Gettysburg, and well remembers the battle fought there. During the three days’ fighting, she carried water to the famished soldiers of the Union army, and had many narrow escapes from death by the explosion of shells. Her father was taker prisoner by the rebels during this battle, and although an old man and a cripple, they marched him to Salisbury prison, where he died from the effects of ill treatment, in the following February. The brother of Mrs. Winger was also taken prisoner by the rebels, and was confined in Salisbury prison for two years.
Nine children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Winger, namely: Harry C., Harriet A., Russell C., George H., Ruth, Edgar, Naomi, Charles W. and Bessie, who died in infancy. In political views the Doctor is a Democrat. The family attended the Pine Street Presbyterian church.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Date of Transcription: 2 December 2000
Copyright © 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.