ZARKER, Andrew U., was born in Lower Paxton township, Dauphin county, Pa., January 13, 1850. He is a son of Benjamin and Catherine (Fohler) Zarker. His father was born in Derry township, Dauphin county, and was a son of John Zarker, a native of Germany, and one of the early settlers of Derry township. Benjamin Zarker was a lieutenant of cavalry in the war of 1812. He was a farmer of Lower Paxton township, and served as supervisor of his township. He was an active member of the Lutheran church. He had twelve children, five of whom are living: David, of Harrisburg; Henry of Topeka, Kan; Andrew U., Susan (Mrs. Simon Duey), of Harrisburg; Lucy (Mrs. David Mumma), of Harrisburg.
Andrew U. Zarker was reared on a farm and educated in the township schools. He learned carpentry in Harrisburg, became foreman for Henry Shoop, and filled the same position for Mr. Cowden in the planing mill for five years. He then engaged for himself in architecture, contracting and building, which he continued for thirteen years; he erected many of the best business blocks in the city. He was, after this, engaged for four years in the grocery business.
In 1891 Mr. Zarker was appointed highway commissioner of Harrisburg, and served three years. In 1887 he organized the East Harrisburg Building and Loan Association, and is now its president. He was instrumental in the reorganization of the Farmers’ Market Company, and has been its president since its organization. He has served two terms as representative of the Ninth ward in common council, and two terms as ward assessor. He is vice-president of the Mt. Pleasant Fire Company. He is a member of the K. of G. E., the Knights of Brotherhood, the Junior O. U. A. M., and of Lodge No. 708, I. O. O. F.
Andrew U. Zarker was married, in 1871, to Miss Hannah, daughter of David Miller, of Juniata county, Pa., by whom he has one child, Tillie M. He is an active member of Christ Lutheran church; is superintendent of the Sunday-school, and teaches a male Sunday-school class of one hundred and twenty-five members; has served as deacon, and as president of the Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor. He is a great lover of music, and has an organized orchestra in the church.
Mr. Zarker is interested and prominent in athletic sports, and is a good "wing shot." He is a member of the West End Gun Club. Zarker street in Harrisburg received its name from him. He laid out the street, and has built many houses on it. He has also erected many houses in other parts of the city. Mr. Zarker is a staunch Democrat; he organized the A. U. Zarker Democratic Club in 1888, and carried it on successfully through the campaigns of 1888 and 1892.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Gwen Bixler Drivon at GGDGEN@aol.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription
Date of Transcription: 13 Nov. 2000
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.