ZEIGLER, WILLIAM L., physician, was born at Halifax, Dauphin county, Pa., February 18, 1855; son of Daniel Zeigler. Owing to the death of his father when eleven years old he began taking care of himself, and first found employment in the tanyard of J. Henry Shammo for two and a half years, after which he became a driver on the canal. Jacob Knouf employed him two years on the farm, and then he worked one summer at whitewashing, and after another turn at canal driving he found employment at Halifax in the store of Lodge & Landis for some years. He then attended a select school several terms and taught the Tyson’s school one term, after which he returned to Halifax and worked for four and a half years in the store of J. B. Landis, during which time he studied medicine out of business hours with Dr. H. R. Caslow, and thus prepared himself for the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore; from which he was graduated with honors. In May, 1881, he located in Steelton, where he was successful in his professional and business career. In his political views Dr. Zeigler is a staunch Democrat and is prominent and active in the party, having served as chairman of the Democratic County Committee. He served as a member of the school board two terms, and was chairman of the building committee four years, and in 1891 was elected member of the city council from the Fifth ward, in which office he was active and influential in securing important public improvements.
Transcribed by Judy Warner Bookwalter, for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription