DAVIS, CHARLES S., Steelton, Pa., was born in New Bloomfield, Perry county, Pa., November 14, 1864. He is a son of James R. and Margaret (Dougherty) Davis. Mr. Davis' great-great-grandfather settled in Lancaster county, Pa., on coming over from Wales, about 1740. His great-grandfather, John Davis, moved thence to Shippensburg about 1760, where he became a farmer, a contractor for part of the old Philadelphia and Pittsburgh turnpike, a Revolutionary soldier, a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature about 1818, and later a local Methodist Episcopal preacher. He had a family of one daughter and six sons, all of whom became more or less prominent: (1) Frank D. was a contractor on the Cumberland Valley- railroad, superintendent of the old forge at Roxbury, Franklin county. His son, Wesley Reid Davis, D. D., is now, pastor of Dr. Bethune's Dutch Reformed church, in Brooklyn. A daughter married Dr. Miller, of West Virginia. (2) Jessie L. was for many years the head of a bureau in the postoffice department at Washington. (3) Rev. Samuel died in 1822, at the age of twenty-nine while pastor of the Foundry Methodist Episcopal church, of Washington, D. C. (4) John W. removed to Carlisle, Ind., and was sent to Congress for several terms, was speaker of the National House of Representatives in 1847-48, was later governor of Oregon, was minister to China. He was for a number of years in the Indiana Legislature, speaker of the House there, was president of the National Convention that nominated Franklin Pierce. The late Rear Admiral John Lee Davis, United States navy, was his son. A daughter Mary married William Aiken, of Evansville, Ind.; Carrie, another daughter, married Attorney General Denney, of Indiana; Captain Denney, United States Marine Corps, being a son by this marriage. (5) Lemuel Davis, the grandfather of C. S. Davis, was a surveyor, justice of the peace at Shippensburg, teacher of the grammar school in Mansfield, Ohio, dying when but thirty-fire years old, while on his way to Pennsylvania. He married Catherine Reynolds, who was descended from a prominent French Huguenot family, which was obliged to flee to Germany to escape religious persecution in France. Later they emigrated to Baltimore, and her mother was among the early Cumberland Valley settlers, coming there from Baltimore. They had but two children, James Reynolds, the father of Charles S. and Margaret C., who died unmarried. James R. Davis married Margaret A. Dougherty. They had seven children, only three of whom are now living, Charles S. being the only living son.
On his mother's side he is descended from Hugh Dougherty, of Silver Spring, Cumberland county, a son of whom, George A., married Martha Shoemaker. The Shoemakers settled in the Cumberland Valley about the middle of the eighteenth century, coming from Lancaster county, Pa., John and David being the first of the family. Mr. Davis is descended from the former, who built the old stone homestead, yet standing, about midway between Newburg and Roxbury. It is yet occupied by the Shoemaker descendants, who constitute one of the largest and most respected families in the Cumberland Valley.
Mrs. Davis' father is descended from the Kinneys who settled originally in Connecticut, moving later to New York, and yet later to Ohio. He served three years during the Civil war as lieutenant, adjutant of his regiment, being a long time in Maj. Gen. David S. Stanley's staff. Her mother is descended from the Delaplanes, a prominent French family, members of which settled first in Virginia, her branch moving later to Ohio.
Charles S. Davis received his education principally in the public schools at Liverpool, Perry comity, completing his course at the Central State Normal School, Lock Haven, Pa., in 1883. In the years 1881-82 he taught the high school, at -Thompsontown, Juniata county, Pa. In 1883, Mr. Davis began teaching, in the secondary school at Steelton; after one term in that school he was transferred to the intermediate school, where he taught for four mouths. He was then, on January 1, 1885, made assistant principal of the high school, and was in 1888 promoted to principal; he still occupies that dignified and important post. In the first year after coming to Steelton, Mr. Davis edited the Daily Item during his summer vacation. Mr. Davis has been since 1888 a member of State Capital Lodge No. 70, I. O. O. F., and of Encampment No. 56, I. O. O. F., both of Harrisburg: also a charter member of Commandery No. 108, K. of M., of Steelton. He is also a member of the Dauphin County Historical Society. His politics are Democratic. He was married, July 14, 1892, to Leonora, daughter of John P. and Emma D. (Delaplane) Kinney.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Robert Demy firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 2 Sep 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.
Pages 1024 - 1027