HENDERSON, William B., M.D., was born in Hummelstown, Pa., January 8, 1830. He is a son of Dr. William Henderson and Mary (Wolfersberger) Henderson. His father was born in Cumberland county, Pa., in 1795. He read medicine with Dr. Sampson, of Shippensburg, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1818. In the same year he located in Hummelstown, Pa., and engaged in the practice of his profession, in which he continued until his death, in 1849. He was recognized as one of the leading physicians of his time. In 1838 he was elected to the State Legislature, and served two terms, the first session being held in Philadelphia, and the second in Harrisburg. He was an active member of the Presbyterian church. He was married to Miss Mary Wolfersberger, of Campbellstown, Lebanon county, Pa.
Dr. William B. was primarily instructed in the subscription schools of the town, and subsequently completed a collegiate course at Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg. When he was seventeen years of age he engaged as clerk with Robert E. Snodgrass, of Shippensburg, and remained with him two years. After this he began the study of medicine with Dr. Benjamin Wiestling, of Middletown. In the autumn of 1851 he entered the office of Prof. John Atlee, a member of the faculty of Pennsylvania Medical College. He was graduated from this institution in March, 1853. In the following year he began the practice of medicine and surgery in Hummelstown, forming a partnership with Dr. Jacob Shope. In 1860 he removed to Mount Nebo, Lebanon county, Pa., and took charge of the extensive practice of Dr. Jacob Cooper. In 1862 he left a large and lucrative practice and enlisted in the army in defense of his country. He was assigned to duty as assistant surgeon of the Eighth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, "The Philadelphia Blue," and joined his regiment at Hagerstown, Md. In November of the same year he was commissioned by Gov. Andrew G. Curtin as assistant surgeon of the One Hundred and Sixty-seventh regiment, Pennsylvania drafted militia, commanded by Col. Charles Knoderer, and was at his side when he was killed at the battle of Deserted House, Virginia, December 29. In 1864 he was assigned to duty as assistant surgeon of the United States army at General Slough barracks hospital, Virginia, under Surgeon Bentley. Later he was assigned to duty at the general hospital in the Fairfax Seminary building, at Fairfax Court House, Va. He was afterwards in service at Berks Station, Va., and at Winchester, W. Va. He was also for several months with the Sixteenth New York cavalry. In 1865 he was again commissioned by the War Governor of Pennsylvania as assistant surgeon of the Sixth Pennsylvania cavalry, and was with that regiment until the end of the war. After his discharge from the army he practiced medicine and surgery in various places until 1880, when he located in Steelton, where he has since resided, and where he enjoys a good practice. He has been surgeon of Sergeant Lascomb Post, No. 351, G. A. R., since its organization in 1883. He married the accomplished daughter of farmer Jacob Seiders. They are prominent in society and are important factors in the busy and prosperous community in which they reside.
Commemorative Biographical Encyclopedia of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
Transcribed by Leslie Silvernail (firstname.lastname@example.org) for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -http://maley.net/transcription
Date of Transcription: 11 August 2001
Copyright © 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.