MORRIS, MILTON K., master mechanic, Pennsylvania steel Company, was born in Chester county-. Pa., November 19, 1842. He is a son of William and Eleanor (Fletcher) Morris, natives of Chester county. William Morris was a locomotive engineer and afterwards road supervisor of the Harrisburg and Lancaster railroad. He removed to Harrisburg in 1853, and commenced hotel keeping. He was proprietor of the "White Swan," "William Tell," "Red Lion," and "Pennsylvania .Avenue" hotels, at different periods. He died in Pittsburgh in 1875 while a delegate to the State convention of the A. O. U. W.
Milton K. Morris was eleven rears old when his parents removed to Harrisburg. He was educated there in the public schools and the Harrisburg Academy. He learned the machinist's trade with W. O. Hickok. He was -as employed by P. A. Moltz, of Williamsport, Pa., and afterwards purchased the business of Jacob Moltz, in Harrisburg, and conducted it for two years. In 1861 he enlisted in the three months' service, but was too young to be mustered in. In 1863 he enlisted in Capt. Asbury Awl's company. In 1864 the Government sent him to Alexandria, Va., where he was employed for eighteen months as a machinist and- locomotive engineer. He then worked in the navy yard at Washington, D. C., until the close of the war. He was in the audience at Ford's Theater, in Washington, when President Lincoln was assassinated. After the close of the war Mr. Morris worked in the Altoona shops of the Pennsylvania railroad for several years. In 1870 he came to Steelton and entered the employ of the Pennsylvania Steel Company, in which he has ever since continued, with the exception of a short time spent in the Paxton Rolling Mills. He served as foreman of the machine shops until April, 1892, when he was made master mechanic of the works. He is a member of Carthage Lodge, No. 104, K. of P., Baldwin Commandery, No. 108, K. of M, and of Steelton Conclave, I. O. H. Mr. Morris is independent in politics. He was the Democratic nominee for burgess of Steelton in 1893, but was defeated. He was married, in 1865, to Miss Sallie A., daughter of John C. Linn, of Chester county, Pa. They have four children: John Finley, foreman for Pennsylvania Steel Company, married Fannie Norris, they have one child, Grace; M. Dewitt, Howard D., and Bessie. Mr. Morris and his family are members of the Presbyterian church.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Robert Demy firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 4 August 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.