REYNDERS, J.V.W.
Back Up Next

REYNDERS, J. V. W., superintendent of the bridge and construction department, Pennsylvania Steel Company, was born in Hoboken, N. J., December 17, 1866. He is a son of John and Louise (Sellers) Reynders, and was educated at the Gymnasium at Wesel, Germany, and at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N. Y., where he was graduated in civil engineering. In 1886 he engaged with the Pittsburgh Bridge Company as designer and remained with the company two years. He was next employed at the Snead & Co. Iron Works, Louisville, Ky., and later by the Penn Bridge Company, Beaver Falls, Pa. After this he engaged as assistant on the construction of the Cairo bridge across the Ohio river, the St. Louis merchants' bridge across the Mississippi, and other important structures; being stationed at this period at the Union Bridge Company's Works, Buffalo, N. Y., and Athens, Pa., and at the Edgemoor Bridge Works, Wilmington, Del. In December, 1890, at the organization of the bridge and construction department of the Pennsylvania Steel Company, Steelton, he was appointed to the position of engineer and in the spring of 1891 was placed in charge of the department. Some of the notable structures erected by the Pennsylvania Steel Company under his supervision include the steel arch span across the Niagara, replacing the old railway suspension bridge; a double track bridge across the harbor of Duluth, Minn., including one of the heaviest draw spans in existence; the Lake Roland elevated railway, running through the heart of Baltimore, and a bridge across the Norwalk river at South Norwalk, Conn., including the first four track draw span built in this country.

Mr. Reynders was married, in 1894, to Miss Clare, daughter of Dr. S. T. Charlton, of Harrisburg. They have one child, J. V. W. Reynders, Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Reynders are members of the Pine street Presbyterian church, Harrisburg. His politics are independent. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the Engineers' Club, of Philadelphia, and the Harrisburg Club.

Historical Review of Dauphin County

Transcribed by Robert Demy rdemy@earthlink.net for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project http://maley.net/transcription.

Date of Transcription: 4 August 2001

Copyright (c) 2001 All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.

Page 994