SHOPE, A. L., M.D., Oberlin, Pa., was born in Oberlin, October 16, 1868. He is a son of A. H. Shope. His great-grandfather, Jacob Shope, was a native of Germany. He came to Dauphin county, married, and reared a family of children, all of whom are dead. His son, Abraham Shope, grandfather of Dr. Shope, was a weaver. Early in life he engaged in mercantile business, and later in farming. His first wife was a Miss Wasser, daughter of Dr. Wasser, who came from Europe. They had five children: Elizabeth, born September 8, 1811, deceased; John, born March 27, 1815; Abram, born July 24, 1817, deceased; Jacob, born September 6, 1819; David, born April 1, 1826. His second wife was Elizabeth McFadden. Their children were as follows: Cornelius, born May 18, 1831; Elias P., born November 25, 1833, deceased; Mary Ann, born April 17, 1838; George W., born August 13, 1838; Priscilla, born March 30, 1841; Adam H., born December 27, 1844; Susan, born February 28, 1848.
C. B. Shope, uncle of Dr. Shope, was educated in the common schools of Dauphin county. When a young man he was occupied in farming, and later he learned carpentry. In 1863 he engaged in the butchering business, in Churchville, now known as Oberlin, in which he continued until 1883. Since that year he has been unable, on account of failing health, to attend to business. He was married, February 8, 1852, to Matilda Lose, born July 18, 1824, in Lancaster county, a daughter of Abraham Lose. They had two children: William W., born January 25, 1853, at Harrisburg; and C. B., Jr., born March 22,1866, at Harrisburg. His wife died in September, 1866. His second wife was Mary A., daughter of John Balsbach, born June 11, 1828. He is much interested in church work. He is connected with the United Brethren church, and has been superintendent of the Sunday-school for about fifteen years.
A. H. Shope, son of Abram Shope, was born December 27, 1844. His father was born November 16, 1788, and died September 16, 1854. His mother, Elizabeth Shope, was born October 30, 1806, and died January 11, 1879. He was educated in the common schools of Dauphin county. He was engaged in farm work until he was sixteen years old, when he entered the drug store of Shope & Orth, in Hummelstown, as clerk, and remained there until 1863. At that date he enlisted in the Thirty-sixth regiment, Pennsylvania militia, for three months. He was afterwards in the butchering business, in Harrisburg and at Oberlin. From 1879 to 1882 he was in mercantile business. In 1884 he was elected director of the poor, in which office he served for three years, and was re-elected for a second term, serving until 1890. He has ever since been engaged in general mercantile business, to the time of this writing, October, 1895. He married Miss Jane Reighart, daughter of John Reighart, of Dauphin county, who died December 23, 1890, leaving him one child. He married, on May 16, 1893. Ida V., daughter of Jacob Heckert. He is a stockholder in the Hummelstown Bank.
Dr. A. L. Shope took the usual course of study in the schools, but with some variations. When a very young man he was a news agent in Oberlin for four years. He picked up the trade of painting, and carried it on during the summer months. In winter he continued his studies. He acquired his preliminary education at the Academy in Steelton. In 1886 he put himself under the instruction of Dr. Putt, of Oberlin, and began reading medicine with that gentleman as his preceptor. In 1887 he entered the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, and was graduated in 1890. In the spring of that year he located in Oberlin, where he has since enjoyed an extensive practice. He was married, in October, 1895, to Miss Emma, daughter of Daniel and Mary Wagner, of Dauphin county.
George Shope, uncle of Dr. A. L., left home in 1854, at the age of sixteen years. He went to Marion county, Iowa, and remained two rears: then to Strong county, Iowa, where he engaged in farming. He married, in Iowa, a Miss Ellen Sesson, by whom he has four sons: Edwin, Cliarles, William, and Albert. He removed to Des Moines, Iowa, where he has since resided. He was married, a second time, to Mrs. Post; they have one son, George W., Jr. He has served as city treasurer for two terms. He was cashier of the Grand Avenue Savings Bank until October, 1895, when he retired. He takes an active part in politics in connection with the Republican party.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Robert Demy email@example.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 4 August 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.